Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Assignment Five

Eagle Nest Radio
I really enjoyed listening to Mrs. "E's" third grade class and their podcast. I like how she incorporates technology into a variety of subjects. I also like how it is broken down into a news cast theme with different students reporting on different subjects on a particular topic.

My favorite was the podcast titled, "Roamin' with the Ancient Romans." Not only did the students have to research and write about the Roman civilization, but they created a podcast about it. Mrs. "E" encourages her students creativity even more by having them dress the part. One thing I really liked after browsing the website was how the blogging rules were posted at the top of the page.

Integrating ICT into the MFl Classroom
Podcasting is a great way for teachers to get information to students and parents. It would not take much work for a teacher to record a lecture and upload it to the school's website. If a student is sick they could access the school's website and listen to the lectures they missed. Also, if a student is studying for a test or doing homework and become confused or unclear about a topic they can listen to the podcast for a better understanding.

One thing I did not realize was how long podcast have been around, and just how popular the iPod made them. The only thing better than a podcast is a vodcast, which is like a podcast with video. Teachers can upload labs onto vodcast for students. The possibilities with podcasts are endless.

100 Ways To Use Your iPod To Learn
I knew there were many different things an iPod could do, and I also knew there were a million podcasts available. I never knew, though, there were so many available to assist with education. There is a podcast available for the iPod that assists with Spanish. It is called "iPod Spanish to go." Another podcast I really liked is called "Brain Quest." It is an educational game for grades 1-7, so even elementary and middle school students can learn on the iPod.

I have a sister who is in nursing school and she had a professor tell her about the podcast called "Stedman's Medical Terminology Flash Card," which is flash cards used to study medical terminology. It is good to see other teacher's using technology such as podcasts to help students. There is a podcast for all ages. What better way to introduce your "little one" to technology than have subscribe to the Sesame Street podcast?

The Education Podcasting Network
I found myself browsing through all the different blogs and podcast on The Education Podcasting Network for well over an hour. There are so many teachers who do have podcasts. I am glad to see there are people in education who do care enough about incorporating technology in their classrooms as early as kindergarten.

I am also very happy to see there is a network for anyone and everyone to share their educational podcasts. This can be very useful in the classroom for those just beginning and experts. I plan on using this site, as well as creating podcasts, with my students one day.

Overview
Wow! I think this is awesome! It is great that students are creating podcasts. I know some high school technology teachers who do not give their students assignments anywhere near this caliber. From browsing through the websites it looks as if the teachers, as well as their classes, have a bunch of nice blogs and podcasts.

If technology like this can be incorporated and taught to students as young as 5-10 years old, then anyone, young or old, should be able to learn it. I wish more teachers did things like this. Not only are they learning regular subjects like History and Science, but they are learning the technological tools that will give them a head start when they enter "the real world."

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... anyone, young or old, should be able to learn it." I agree. Are you ready to be a podcasting teacher? I hope so after EDM310.

    Thoughtful. Well done. Glad you explored beyond the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I would have never thought to use Podcasts with elementary students. This is a great way for them to express themselves and an exciting way to promote learning. I like what you said about “they learning regular subjects like History and Science, but they are learning the technological tools”. What better way to teach students required courses than through a media that will be useful as well as memorable?

    ReplyDelete