Saturday, June 19, 2010

Assignment Six

Critiques of Smartboards
Interactive Whiteboard and Classroom Guru is a blog I found that list many different ways Interactive Whiteboards can be used in the classroom. Many schools are having Smartboards installed in classrooms, including the University of South Alabama. I have heard nothing but positive things about Smartboards until I read Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative and Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards . These post bring up very valid point. They say Smartboards are great because they are interactive. However, they also state nothing more than a glorified overhead projector.

I believe Smartboards are a great tool in the classrooms despite their high price. There are many other ways Smartboards can be used other than those listed by the blogs (i.e. the markers can be used to add notes to the current display). Students can create assignments and present it to the class. With a Smartboard they can navigate the presentation without taking the chance of them fouling up the computer.

It is kinda funny this assignment deals with Smartboards because just a few days ago I spoke with a local Elementary School Principal about this subject. She is currently adding Smartboards in all 70 of her classrooms. I asked her why she would spend so much money on Smartboards. She told me there are many useful ways a Smartboard can be incorporated into a lesson. She also brought to my attention a factor that many people do not know or think about. A few of her teachers received grants in which the money must be spent on Smartboards and if they did not accept the grant the money would all go to waste. So when people ask the question "why waste that much money for a glorified overhead projector" my answer would be "because if they didn't they money would go to waste."

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies

These videos were very funny. After watching them many different ideas came to mind. If I had to create a video I would be interested in creating one about technology in the classroom and how much it had changed just within the past decade. Also, I would add the fact there are some teachers who do not believe technology is important in the classroom today.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    I agree with you, I think there are a lot of great things about it. The information I have is just from reading about them, but from what Ive read I am on the side of people who think they are useful.
    Anything that is interactive, and keeps the kids involved is good thing. I am sure the technology will improve for them also, so to not like them, and not want to learn about them is not an option if your smart. I liked your post, and thought it was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good analysis of the smartboard debate Ashley. I'm glad you brought in the point about the grant calling for smartboards. I wonder who was offering that grant?

    Also, Great idea to do a video about the way technology has changed over the past 10 years. Are you going to do it? SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that I posted my thoughts on the smartboard critique if you want to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete